In attempting to respond more effectively to the needs of children in Trinidad and Tobago, and particularly those children who are in need of care and protection, a Package of Children's Legislation was developed.
The legislation in this package complement each other and provide for a robust system which seeks to ensure that Trinidad and Tobago is complying with its obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC Child-Friendly Language).
Whilst the Children’s Authority, as the guardian of children within our nation, may have a duty to fulfil in the implementation of any legislation relating to children, the mandate and daily operations of the Authority are guided by four specific pieces of legislation.
- The Children's Authority Act Chap 46.10 (157KB Adobe PDF)
- The Children Act, (2012) (893KB Adobe PDF)
- The Children’s Community Residences, Foster Care and Nurseries Act Chap 46:11; and (818KB Adobe PDF)
- The Adoption of Children Act, 2000 (62KB Adobe PDF)
- The Adoption of Children (Amendment) Act, 2003 (21KB Adobe PDF)
- The Adoption of Children (Amendment) Act, 2015 (87KB Adobe PDF)
- Children's Authority Regulations, 2014 (67KB Adobe PDF)
- Children's Community Residences Regulations 2014 (1MB Adobe PDF)
- Foster Care Regulations, 2014 (26KB Adobe PDF)
The Authority also has prepared a Consolidated Adoption of Children Act. This consolidation is an aid to reading and understanding the Adoption of Children Act. It is not a definitive text and reference should always be made to the Act and any amending Act, to confirm its accuracy.